We are living with a pretty adventurous entry situation for the last couple of month and although I got used to it pretty fast it still is the most impractical entry situation for a construction site. (you should see us handling tools and heavy stuff up there… also the 3 ACC-blocks which lay in place of the first 2 rungs are quite challenging)
But now it’s time for our new steel stairway to shine! Do you remember we ordered stairs at the trade fair a couple of month ago. It was finally delivered to us weeks ago which led us to the next item on our to-do-list: to built a solid foundation for the staircase.
We splitted this activity up to two weekends. On the first we prepared everything for the foundation and on the second we got our hands on mixing concrete.
For mixing concrete you need a serious amount of sand so on the first saturday Martin and I got up really early to go and get some from Martin’s workplace.
(It comes in pretty handy to have such a great partner-in-crime who is able to drive all those big machines. Although he’s behind the computer all day long he enjoys to get back into the drivers seat every once in a while.)
We unloaded the sand at the treehouse site and waited for a friend of my Dads who owns a (supercute) excavator. Tiny but pretty handy when it comes to digging holes for the sewer or the foundation..
I was supervising the whole digging process from above while Martin and my Dad helped downstairs preparing the hole.
Everything worked out pretty good and at the end of the day we also had a perfectly working sewer. (the last part of the downspout wasn’t installed until now!)
We choose a simple galvanized steel staircase with grid stairs (we thought it might be the best idea because with all the wet leafs during fall, wooden stairs could get really slippery and wet leaves freezing onto stairs would be even worst. We hope for the best and that the leafs won’t stick to the steel grid).
Stay tuned for the second day where we cast the foundation.