small achievements here and there

IMG_9917
oh boy, the end is near!
At least the end of our apartment lease contract so a chaotic moving month is ahead of us.
Let me show you the small achievements we’ve been working on for the last couple of spring-weekends to add the last finishing touches to our dreamhome.. (because hands down… if you don’t do it BEFORE you move in it won’t be done for a looong time, right!?)

First and most importantly we got rid of this crazy, dirty, dusty work rug we had layed on our floor for surface protection.
kueche003
kueche004

We My supercrafty-cousin Robert installed beautiful Ikea Ranarp lamps above our kitchen and he installed the amazing 70ies shade in Lindas nursery I found on a fleamarket a few years ago. (how cute are those graphics!?)
kueche001
kueche002
stiege003
I oiled the stairs with a black wood oil to make them slightly darker and compatible with the industrial look of the steel frame. (note to myself: never wear a white shirt while applying black oil… now some parts of my white shirt are also very compatible to the dark steel frame!)
stiege001
stiege002
My dad and Martin worked on some small bits and pieces and last finshing touches to install the slide! (yeah, baby!) and to get on with the garden planning and preparations for sowing gras seeds. All under Lindas supervisor eyes!
IMG_9904
IMG_9896
She doesn’t look very impressed – does she!?
IMG_9922
IMG_9911
I’ll keep you updated on the next step our garden (and the house) is doing!

 

black saturday

Altough it might occur to you differently but let me tell y’all: It’s not always sunshine and rainbows over here with our construction site.
It might be really tempting to just show you all our great achievements and milestones we reached on our way to the perfect little treehouse. But that’s not the case. Actually life can be tough some days. Let me be more specific:

Two weeks ago, Saturday, I recognized a crack in one of the 3 huge remaining branches of the tree (right where the branch grows out the trunk) I reported it to my treedoctors but as the wood in the middle was already gray I thought it’s ok if the specialists are coming on monday. 30 minuntes later I got a call from our neighbours telling me the branch was broken and hung above his carport and house.

S***!

I grabbed my camera and drove to the treehouse and while we waited for the firefighters to arrive I snapped a few photos of the scene.
The branch also hit our new extension. Although we’ve been lucky and it missed a construction beam within a few millimeters. So the damage is quite small repairable.
astbruch002
astbruch003
astbruch004
The firefighters removed all the green branches and left the big branch for the specialists. Two days later our treedoctor of trust Mister Saller came with 5 man and a huge lifting platform. The two specialist Nick and Jeremy took a closer look at the tree and tried to figure out how to remove the branch without harming the tree or the extension (more than it was already harmed).
Step two was to get rid of the heavy leaves so they scraped out a lot of branches and leaves to drop weight.
astbruch008
astbruch005
astbruch006
astbruch009
astbruch007
astbruch013
It was a busy day as the treedocs and the constructors of our sundeck worked on the constuction site that day.
astbruch010
astbruch012
astbruch011
astbruch001

After a hole day of hard work (from Nick and Jeremy at least) they called it a day still cheerful and in good mood. Thank you so much for your fast operation and your good work!

Sorry for my radiosilence the last week but it didn’t feel right for me to go on with “normal”posts as long as the tree was in such an emergency situation. We’ll be back with the regular posting schedule next week. Thank you for your support. See you next week. All the best, Katharina.

 

wood preservation

Before I share with you the story of our new stairs. I’ll show you what the girls did last weekend….
malen011

Because our constructor called and asked if we wanted to preserve the wood with a varnish before they begin with the construction of the sun deck. Well, what a good idea – so we screwed our plans for the weekends, I called Anja, miss ladybird and my mum and asked for help and all three of them didn’t hesitated for a single moment!
malen004
We met at one of the halls from our constructor where our timber was stored. I didn’t recognize it by then but that is a serious amount of wood! (the balcony is going to be huge! I can tell y’all!)
malen003
malen008
First we brushed off the sawdust and then we started to varnish the timber. We had two teams. Team paintbrush (Anja and my mum) and Team paint roller (miss ladybird and I). We painted every beam 2 times on 3 sides and turned them over (aka roll them) so we could paint the last side as well.
malen009
malen005
malen006
malen007
malen001
The result is a slightly “honey-toned” finish which will (hopefully) last for a few years. comes rain. comes shine.
malen002
malen010
It took us the whole day to get everything done and add 2 layers of preservation on every piece of timber. Thank you so much Anja, miss ladybird and Mum for helping us!