the nursery – wooden shingles on the wall

boden001
You know we had some special plans for decorating our nursery wall with wooden shingles which we imported from our latest trips to the far west of Austria. I love the look of those little beaver tail shingled houses in the region of Vorarlberg and I thought it would look beautiful in our nursery too. Like small ruffles – girly but not too sugary.
We had our insider Anja over (she’s originally from Vorarlberg knowing those ruched houses too well) to help us dealing with the shingles. My dad and Martin decided to go with an air pressure stapler instead of glue and so we started.

schindel02
schindel001
schindel03
schindel07
My part was (being 38 weeks pregnant and almost unable to move in any other way than far-preggo-slow-mo) to sort the shingles (there’s a front and a backside and I also sorted out all of the broken or twisted ones). While my dad, Martin and Anja began to ajust the laser and start to staple the first shingles onto the wall.
schindel04
schindel08
schindel06
schindel05
After a few rows we they had figured out the best way to get a good and even result and a pretty productive workflow. Like with every work the beginning is the hardest until you find the right flow, here it was tricky to decide whether to mount the shingles with the mathematical levelness or the optical one, the house is old and hardly anything in there is really even. (we went for the middle path and did a mixture between mathematical and optical)
That day we worked for a few more hours until we reached the light switch.
Martin spend his entire after-(day-job)-work-hours during the entire week in the treehouse mounting hundreds of shingles one after the other and dealing with tricky parts like embed the light switch fixture. A hell of a lot of work but it truly payed off.
schindel12
schindel09
I love the outcome so much! Maybe the nursery is my favorite room so far! (sorry bathroom!)
Schorsch and Martin also installed sliding doors for Linda’s future built-in-cupboard.
schindel10
schindel14
schindel11
I painted the doors in three different colors and of course I chose them from my favorite color supplier: Farrow & Ball
(Hello, my name is Katharina and I’m a F&B addict!..) I picked a vivid orange, a brownish shade of grey and a (not too pink) salmon tone. Again I wanted it to look warm and girly but not too-hello-kitty-girly-pink (no offence miss kitty!).
Farrow and Ball paints are pricey but they have such a high coverage that I could paint the cupboard door (three times) and it was still enough paint left from the 0,75l container to paint Linda’s changing unit and the door frame also with “London clay”.
I show you the results in a few weeks when everything is finished and we are finally moving in!

 

2007 Before Pictures

bhaus005_about

I’m preparing some detailed ABOUT pages (about us, about the house, about the crew).. and while doing this I stumbled upon those real BEFORE photos of the treehouse. I took them back in 2007 when we just bought it. The house was a time capsule and it seemed like the owners had left for winter (they used the house as a summer retreat) but never returned since then. The calender from 1973 was still up!

All photos are shot on film with my beloved Mamiya RB67.

bhaus011_low
bhaus003_low
bhaus014_low
bhaus004_low
bhaus002_low
bhaus009_low
bhaus007_low
bhaus008_low

 

drywall builder – part 1

atreefor2_000022
Last weekend we ended our slow & lazy start of the year sick leave with some drywall covering in our extension. Some time ago we covered the lower half of the walls (we needed to do that on time so that the floor screed could be filled in).
atreefor2_000017
It was the first sunny day within weeks and we’ve been lucky to welcome Codo, Jantschy and Toby on the site for giving us a hand with the wall finish.

atreefor2_000016
atreefor2_000019
atreefor2_000006

The boys had an elaborate system of working together.
atreefor2_000008
The first room was done really quickly and while they where still measuring, cutting and mounting panels I was upstairs in the attic and had to do some preparations for one of our next big projects: the thermal insulation of the roof.

atreefor2_000001

I needed to seal every hole and crack to make sure the house is air-tight. (Otherwise cold air will find its way through the cracks into the warm house, condensate there and mold will apear – much likely on spots you can’t see it for month… until it get’s harmful.) To prevent that and seal all of the tiny leaks I worked with polyurethane foam, which I really loved! (I know that may be political incorrect and environmental questionable but it’s really a lot of fun foaming around with this stuff.)

atreefor2_000002
atreefor2_000003
Unfortunately this foam-stuff is also sticky as hell. And I got a unintentional haircut by Jantschy (some of this stuck in my tiny-neck-hair-fluff – OUCH!)
note to myself: next time better wear a cap and get your hair cut with a sharp knife.atreefor2_000011
But look at Jantschy’s face… I think he suffered as much as I did!

atreefor2_000012
stay tuned for some more photos still to come…