getting things done in the attic

boden002
boden003
Well its about time to cover our fancy “disco” floor(heating) with a decent floor. After building the nursery wall and covering our small storage room with beautiful salvaged wooden planks everything was ready for laying the floor.
We chose a vinyl floor with an natural oak look. (we had to go with vinyl or laminate because of the light weight heating system – wooden floors are unfortunately too risky to lay directly on this system due to temperature variations).
boden005
boden006
My whole family helped us Martin (I’m on maternity-construction-site-leave) laying the floor. They started with the nursery and worked superfast, the first few planks were pretty tricky but after a few rows it went really good (at least it looked like it was easy to do from my point of view).
boden008
boden012
boden007
After our lunch break they started with room #2 (aka our bedroom), while I sat on the new nursery floor trying to choose the colors for the cabinets we are going to built in the nursery. (we are planing to built storage space and a built-in-cupboard with 3 sliding doors.)
I chose farrow and ball paint (although they are pricy their varnish is perfect to work with! Totally worth the money and the colors are gorgeous!).
I picked red earth (looks in real live a little more pink), charlotte’s locks (a beautiful and bold, statement color) and london clay. (a warm brownish grey tint).
boden004
boden009
boden010
I was stunned – what a difference a day makes! What do you think about the floor? 

This post was written in advance – at the moment we are trying to spend as much time with our new family member ♥.

 

the nursery (wall)

Ok, so the baby-news hit us a little flat-fooded last summer. But after all it was not to late to rethink the layout of our attic and squeeze a (pretty big – about 20 square meters/200 square foot) nursery in.

Since our xmas getaway we could cross off a million things from the to-do-list. Martin had 3 (!!!) weeks off and he worked literally day and night to get things done! Together with my family (thank you mum, dad, cousin and best-brother-in-the-world) and our friends we managed to finish some of the most important tasks. I try to catch up with all those great achievements within the next few posts…

Let’s start with the nursery wall..

wand1
Like in our extension we built it again from wood and (sound)insulated it with our favorit product when it comes to wall or ceiling insulation: wool!
Again we chose the wool from isolena, this time we needed a slightly thicker quality (which has more body to it and won’t colapse over the years within the wall).

kizi_wand003

Compared to a picture of the attic a few month ago it’s an amazing difference! I like the attic now a lot more with two rooms (we also divided a small storage room from the rest) it feels bigger and well structured.
Finally my dad and Martin built in the old kitchen door we saved 2 years back at our deconstruction party. It took them half a day but I think it was totally worth it! The mix of old and new elements is what makes you feel at home and to be honest there are almost no affordable and beautiful new doors I could life with.
abstellkammer008
As I’m getting more and more of a laborer due to my pregnancy I was in good company as Gustav was my buddy cleaning a little or cutting wool, playing … easy stuff …

kizi_wand001
kizi_wand002
Sorry for the dog-photo-overload lately … a sneak peek of what will happend as soon as the baby is on board! 

 

 

energy efficient renovation actions – part I

insulation004
We are currently working on energy efficient winter-updates for our house. (although the weather is rather mild at the moment, but you never know! maybe winter sets in just a little late…)
insulation001

We started small at the basement:
Part one was to thermally insulate all the pipes of our underfloor heating. We covered the two main pipes running along the ceiling of the basement with (fancy looking) highly efficient heat-pipe insulation. (made of Rockwool)
Yes, I know we still have the christmas lights up and the big holes in the wall covered with beautiful photos… but it just looks better that way!
insulation002
insulation003

Gustav was our special guest on the site that day. He was all eyes  and ears what we’re doing with this silver pipes.
But he was also a little unsure what to think and barked at them everytime we put them somewhere (all pitbull owners will agree – they are a truly vicious and fight silver-insulating-pipes till death!)
insulation006
Attaching those pipes was really easy (except for the corners). Just measure, cut and stick together. As simple as that!
insulation007
insulation008
insulation009
insulation005
After we finished the insulation work we ran out of material, we went upstairs and finished a few of the wooden dry walls in our extension. I  was in charge of the insulation material and Martin mounted the planks. I worked with a mask because I can’t stand the insulation material (mineral rock wool) without any protection… brrrrrr.
(working for hours with that stuff really starts to irritate your airways – so be save!).
insulation012
insulation010
insulation011
Again we ran out of material – so we wrote a long shopping list and called it a day!