One rainy afternoon a few weeks ago. Anja, miss ladybird and I met in the treehouse basement to get our hands on some DIY concrete stools we saw in a back issue of COUCH magazine.
We thought we’d give it a try and we have been amazed by the result… we are planning on making a few more so I’ll give you a proper how-to-diy-recepie but for now see the pictures of our day as masters of dirt and concrete…
we collected some different moldings and oiled them before we began to make the concrete.
miss ladybird and I are taking safety very seriously!
Always wear at least safety glasses if you are working… this concrete and cement stuff can hurt your eyes badly!
We filled the mouldings and placed the legs. You have to wait for at least 24 hours (depends on the thickness) until the concrete is dry! We also tried ourselfs on some concrete candle holders (made of plastic water and milk bottles)… what do you think!?
Last weekend we ended our
slow & lazy start of the year sick leave with some drywall covering in our extension. Some time ago we covered the lower half of the walls (we needed to do that on time so that the floor screed could be filled in).
It was the first sunny day within weeks and we’ve been lucky to welcome Codo, Jantschy and Toby on the site for giving us a hand with the wall finish.
The boys had an elaborate system of working together.
The first room was done really quickly and while they where still measuring, cutting and mounting panels I was upstairs in the attic and had to do some preparations for one of our next big projects: the thermal insulation of the roof.
I needed to seal every hole and crack to make sure the house is air-tight. (Otherwise cold air will find its way through the cracks into the warm house, condensate there and mold will apear – much likely on spots you can’t see it for month… until it get’s harmful.) To prevent that and seal all of the tiny leaks I worked with polyurethane foam, which I really loved! (I know that may be political incorrect and environmental questionable but it’s really a lot of fun foaming around with this stuff.)
Unfortunately this foam-stuff is also sticky as hell. And I got a unintentional haircut by Jantschy (some of this stuck in my tiny-neck-hair-fluff – OUCH!)
note to myself: next time better wear a cap and get your hair cut with a sharp knife.
But look at Jantschy’s face… I think he suffered as much as I did!
The boys of the wood (Martin and Jantschy) did a really good job.. They installed the big trunk for our floor heating system. and measured, cut and mounted wooden beams like maniacs.
while Ray and Schorsch arrived and helped me and Branson with the paint removal job… I guess just Branson and me where on the savety trip that day.. couldn’t even look at Ray practicing his ollie
skate stand moves! But he also helped us to get rid of the last bits and pieces of interior walls… of course the old fashioned way.. like Thor and his hammer.
Because we ran out of ladders Schorsch got pretty creative… maybe not the best choice! And kids: Don’t try this at home!! please!
Also miss ladybird showed up with a helping hand, her fantastic Instax mini and a bottle of champagne! There’s nothing like going out in style. After Ray managed to open it we all had a good nip of that bubbly water… Thank you Ladybird!
Uli dropped by for a quick hello and brought along 3 bottles of her amazing organic apple juice – the best you’ve ever tasted… (and Yes, just in case you’re wondering every now and then we drink some non-alkoholic drinks at the site too!)
Martin (little tired here) and Jantschy with the first of the two walls finished.
The second one was installed during the week … which was not the most fun after-work-activity one can think of..
We thougth about leaving (just) this wall like it is now (on the right)… i think it would look really nice with these different old layers of paint (it’s a mix between some white one with stripes, some green one with small ornaments and some pink one with little red flowers – try to get a good picture of it some time soon…)